COVID-19 seemed to affect every aspect of our lives, especially for the people who contracted this condition. As everyone tried to return to their new normal, many were coming to terms with the harsh reality: the coronavirus is far from over. Long COVID is a persistent and challenging aftermath of COVID-19. In this blog, we will explain long-COVID, its symptoms, signs, and treatments. Carry on reading!
What is Long Covid?
In simple terms, long COVID is a lingering condition that is observed in people who were infected with the virus responsible for COVID-19. Also known as post-COVID Conditions, the condition is characterized by symptoms that develop or resume following acute COVID-19 infection. It involves a wide range of ongoing, returning, or new symptoms that occur more than 4 weeks after getting COVID-19.
It is possible that the symptoms last for a month to a year after you originally had COVID. People experiencing post-COVID-19 syndrome will notice the symptoms for some time, and it can even turn into disability.
Symptoms of Long COVID
COVID doesn’t come without symptoms, and they might last for weeks to even years after the infection. In some cases, the symptoms go away and return; each case is different. Different variations, types, and combinations are present in each individual. Generally, people who suffer from long COVID exhibit the following symptoms:
- General: Tiredness and fatigue are usual signs that emerge if you are suffering from long COVID. You will also notice post-exertional malaise, which happens when physical or mental effort worsens the symptoms. Though the list is long, fever is among the general signs.
- Heart & Respiratory: Long COVID affects all aspects of your health, and you may have to deal with cough, chest pain, heart palpitations, and difficulty breathing.
- Neurological: Living with the symptoms of post-COVID conditions takes a toll on your mental well-being. You might find it hard to think or concentrate, known as brain fog. Other than this, headache, sleep problems, dizziness, changes in smell or taste, pins-and-needles feeling, anxiety, and depression are also possible consequences of long COVID.
- Digestive: Diarrhea and stomach pain could be due to long COVID as well. The condition causes all kinds of health conditions, and you should not ignore any digestive symptoms.
- Other Symptoms: Long COVID challenges all facets of your health, and your overall well-being is affected. Pain in muscles or joints and rashes are also indicators of this condition. Since it interferes with many bodily functions, you may even observe changes in your menstrual cycles.
Long COVID brings forth a number of symptoms and a promising treatment that helps alleviate the symptoms is Stellate Ganglion Block. The procedure involves injecting a local anesthetic, which blocks neuronal transmissions and reduces sympathetic activation as well as neurohormone levels. Depending on your condition, SGB can show effective results and improve your symptoms.
Long COVID is a condition with an array of symptoms that affect your body after COVID-19 infection. The condition might last for weeks and even years, causing headaches, digestive issues, shortness of breath, and different combinations or variations of symptoms for each individual.
At Genesis Pain Clinic, we provide effective treatments, and our Stellate Ganglion Block procedure helps relieve the signs of long COVID. Dr. Raza Jafri is our board-certified expert with specializations in Anesthesiology and sub-specialty in Pain Medicine. He and his dedicated team are more than happy to help! Dial (913) 871-9888 to schedule an appointment with us.